3D printing is the process that builds a three-dimensional object from a CAD Model. In this process, layers are added over each other and it is called additive manufacturing. In 3D printing, the materials are joined by the help of computers that helps in creating a three-dimensional object. The material extrusion technique in 3D printing is called a fused deposition model (FDM). FDM is the least expensive of all the processes and it is one of the most popular processes in the world of 3D printing. But the word 3D printing is not used in most of the official places of the United States and on the global level. On the global stage, it is called additive manufacturing. Since the technology has started improving and competitive the firms and the other organizations are using different methods of printing one of which is 3D printing to make the manufacturing firms flexible.
Different kinds of 3D prototypes
There are different kinds of 3D printing that has helped in improving the manufacturing world and making it flexible.
- SLA– SLA stands for stereolithography technology which is a very fast prototype. Technology users are serious about their accuracy and precision. The objects appear in 3D CAD data in this process. Machines using this technology produce different types of prototypes, designs, and different parts.
- DLP– DLP stands for Digital Light Processing Technology. It is one of the oldest 3D printing technologies and it is mostly similar to SLA stated above. DLP uses the arc lamps which I traditional and it where it differs from SLA. But compared to others DLP is faster in taking out the print outs. The models produced through this process are generally of high- resolution.
- FDM– FDM stands for fused deposition modeling technology and it is the process invented in the 1980s. For producing functional prototypes FDM is regarded as one of the popular functions. The finished objects produced by the FDM process are functional and durable.
Considerations for 3D Printers
There are a few points that are required to be considered before attempting for 3D printers.
- Cost of the printer
- Quality of the printer
- Speed of the printer
- The capability of the printer
- Expectations of the users
3D printers are smarter than other printers. The price of the printers is within the range and they are of good quality material and price. The user of 3D printing is also having access to 3D modeling or a scanner. Before investing in a 3D printing process one should have a brief idea about the same. Without an idea, one cannot be in a good position after investment. But if one is having proper knowledge about the same then the 3D business can be a better option of investment. As mentioned above, over time 3D printers prototypes are called in different acronyms such as SLA, DLP, and FDM. The components of 3D printing are also very crucial and it requires focus.